1 is a 4 month contract with possibility to extend at $18/hr
1 is a temp to hire at $19/hr
San Juan Bautista
This position is responsible for applying Food Science expertise and knowledge to monitor and improve quality of existing and new products with main focus on shelf life monitoring and extension.
• Evaluate physical properties of shelf life retains, samples from different seed varieties
• Maintain shelf life database and prepare reports.
• Interpret shelf life data, report any unusual findings and make appropriate scientific recommendations on findings through written and oral reports.
• Research on Post Harvest indicators to extend shelf life.
• Prepare and organize product evaluation meetings; while gathering and then reporting on product data.
• Provides basic knowledge and problem solving skills to adequately troubleshoot product quality issues.
• Conduct consumer acceptability and preference tests by utilizing different sensory test tools.
• Conduct packaging material testing and maintain the packaging material database.
• Maintain and analyze data in databases using SPC techniques.
• Inspect food processing areas to ensure compliance with government regulations and standards for sanitation, safety, quality, and waste management standards
PREFERRED CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS:
• Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products for consumption, including storage/handling techniques
• Knowledge of plant and their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment
• Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
• Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications
• Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
• Ability to conduct tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance
• Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations to the project completion.
• Ability to design and conduct a systematic, objective, and critical investigation.
PREFERRED (Not required) Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree in Food Science and/or related Agricultural Science, Microbiology, Nutritional degree, required
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years of related experience in research and development of food items, required
• Experience with fresh-cut produce, fresh food production, and vegetable crop production strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to lead complex projects through all phases of the commercialization cycle
• Ability to build relationships and work well with cross-functional partners.
• Ability to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced, team environment.
• Strong ability to communicate verbally and in writing; clearly and concisely and write technical papers or other forms of business communication
• Fluent in Spanish, a plus
• Experience with food safety, HACCP, and quality regulations and programs required
• Knowledge of experimental design and food sensory evaluation techniques highly preferred
• Must have a drive for results and demonstrated ability to move projects forward with a cross functional team
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
• Must be able to work in conditions that consist of a generally casual business office environment (50%), occasional work in a test kitchen or lab (25%) and occasional work in a refrigerated manufacturing plant (34 – 36 degrees F) with wet surfaces, water on the floor, moderate to high exposure to forklift traffic and loud noises (25%).
• Must be able work in refrigerated (38°F) manufacturing plant for periods of a time while conducting experiments and commercialization of new products. Some work maybe required on the weekends and evenings depending on the manufacturing schedule.