Speedling Incorporated is a global leader in the production of transplants for seeded vegetables, ornamentals, and vegetative propagated products with locations in Florida, Georgia, Texas and California. Our team is passionate about agriculture and what we grow. We see customer satisfaction, the personal and professional growth of each employee, safety in the workplace, a commitment to our stakeholders, employees, and communities, and profit as a measure of our performance. Nestled in a lush mountain valley of Georgia, our Blairsville facility is as picturesque as the plants grown there. The modern growing facility aids in maximizing efficient production of quality vegetable and ornamental plugs. The facility is a growers dream, 10 computer controlled zones able to manipulate the greenhouses environments through an Argus controller. The rolling tables allow us to easily move the crops from one growing area to another and finally to shipping.
The successful Grower Manager is responsible to Grow horticultural-specialty crops, such as ornamental plants, vegetables and energy crops, under environmentally controlled conditions and in outside growing areas, applying knowledge of plant culture, environmental control and labor management to meet the consistent quality standards of each customer. Key Responsibilities include ensuring all work is performed in accordance with safety policies and regulations to promote a safe working environment.
Summary of essential job functions:
- Responsible for day to day production of top quality plants within specifications that exceed customer expectations. This includes pesticide application and schedules, irrigation, lighting, fertilization, nutrition, monitoring and overall health of plants.
- Regulate environmental conditions to ensure optimum growth when crop is grown inside greenhouse.
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of top quality plants.
- Work closely with all departments to ensure crop quality and timely shipping.
- Be available to inform customers of crop progress.
- Motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Explain and demonstrate growing techniques and cultivation to coworkers and subordinates.
- Hire workers, assign duties, and monitor activities to assure adherence to established procedures.
- Explain and enforce safety regulations and policies.
- Ensure that accurate crop records are maintained for all crops and locations.
- Alert proper staff of any problems with nursery equipment.
- Willing to travel based on company needs.
- Current State pesticide license.
- Valid State Drivers License
- BS in horticulture or related fields and 5 years of Management / Growing experience.
- Must have strong managerial experience and be able to work and lead a multitude of different personalities.
- Must possess the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Need to be a detail oriented team player with strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must have experience in the greenhouse industry and understand the complexities and challenges.
- Must have knowledge of SOPs.
- Valid Driver License, clean criminal history and drug free
- Must be in good physical condition and able to work outdoors for extended periods of time if needed.
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for co-workers.
- Current first aid/CPR certification, or ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Excellent communication skills; able to speak effectively to employees, managers and customers
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to apply common sense in problem solving
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret operating instructions, training and procedure manuals, government regulations, agreements and contracts.
- Ability to run and calibrate irrigation, fertilization and any spray equipment required to achieve desired results.
- Ability to test or have tested any plant, water or media to maintain the health of each plant variety.
- Willingness to work nights and/or weekends, hours will change based on business needs
- Ability to tolerate exposure to greenhouse elements such as heat, cold, water and dirt.
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs and able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimum supervision, self motivated
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment