Speedling Incorporated is a global leader in the production of transplants for seeded vegetables, ornamentals, andvegetative propagated products with locations in Florida, Georgia, Texasand California. Our team is passionate about agriculture and what we grow. Speedling growth is based on our values and a vision focused on consistent quality and cost efficiency. We see customer satisfaction, the personal and professional growth of each employee, safety in the workplace, a commitment to our stakeholders, employees, and communities, and profit as a measure of our performance. Watsonville was a part of Speedling's West Coast expansion, as it was acquired in 1997 to compliment the San Juan Bautista facility nearby. Watsonville has over 502,000 square feet of production space, with greenhouse ranges specifically dedicated to organic crops. Like our Nipomo facility, Watsonville primarily grows vegetable transplants, but as the holidays approach it trades greens for reds, producing beautiful poinsettias.
The successful Production Manager is responsible for achieving productivity, efficiency, cost, quality, safety, and employee organizational objectives through both individual and team contributions within Watsonville Nursery and provides direction, leadership, development, and support to direct reports through empowerment, teamwork, on-the-job assignments, and continuous improvement initiatives.
Summary of essential job functions:
- Meet production and financial targets; organize full time and part time labor
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing effective production and distribution
- Analyze problems that arise and determine actions that will minimize/prevent future problems, decrease costs and/or improve yields. Recommend changes and upon approval, implement those changes
- Supervises employees, duties include planning, scheduling. Organizing and directing work, training personnel
- Teaches and enforces safety regulations
- Through supervisors and group leaders ensure that proper training is provided to employees on all processes and equipment and in addition ensure that all SOPs are followed consistently
- Organize safety meetings and ensure that the safety measures are applied in order to protect employees, or assign this task to someone who will act as safety coordinator
- Plans and executes inventory each month and at the end of the fiscal year, organizing people, schedule, time, and materials needed. Maintains optimal quantity of materials without interruptions in a production process flow.
- Willing travel based on company needs.
- BS in Horticulture or Agriculture, plus 5 years related industry management experience, training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be fully bilingual; able to speak, read and write in English & Spanish
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Project Management experience
- Valid Driver License
- Clean criminal history and drug free.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to work outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for crew members.
- Current first aid/CPR certification, or ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Must have experience in the greenhouse industry and understand the complexities and challenges of such.
- Must have strong managerial experience and be able to work and lead a multitude of different personalities.
- Good interpersonal communication, able to work well with others
- Excellent communication skills; able to speak effectively to employees, managers and customers
- Manufacturing aptitude, ability to read, comprehend and interpret operating instructions, training and procedure manuals, government regulations, agreements and contracts.
- Must be able to work as part of a team
- Willingness to work nights and/or weekends, hours will change based on business needs
- Able to lift up to 40 lbs and able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimum supervision, Self motivated
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to greenhouse elements such as heat, cold, water and dirt.
- Must be bilingual, outstanding organizational skills
- Need to be a detail oriented team player with strong organizational and communication skills.